Monday, September 6, 2010

Whatever...carpe diem!

If you've been keeping up with updates, you've heard a lot about this JET Programme. The majority of (actually, probably all of) the foreigners I know in Japan are apart of this group. When I decided that I'd have to live in Japan someway somehow, JET was the program that I looked into, applied for and eventually withdrew my application from once I was offered the CIR position in Takko. Nevertheless, I still have found myself befriending JETs in the Aomori area, especially those within close proximity. While I did come to Japan to immerse myself in the culture and I love my Japanese friends, I do need some foreigner time every once and awhile.

Fairly certain that we were the
most responsible of the group.
The benefit of friending JETs is being included in the JET parties, especially when those friends are in charge of organizing said parties. Hence, this past weekend's AJET Welcome Party. By this time, most of the new JETs have been here for awhile, have settled in and enjoyed the welcome parties in their respective towns. However, the annual AJET party seems to serve three purposes: 1) the opportunity for return and new JETs to meet; 2) for new JETs that met at orientation to reunite; 3) to see how ridiculous people get with a little alcohol.

Gots skills
The event was held at the Shichinohe Cabins, which is a couple hours in some direction from Takko. I carpooled up with Kendal and Ululani (Sannohe ALTs...not new info), Ben from Nanbu (not to be confused with Nanbu ben...he is not a dialect), and Michael from Gonohe. Bad decisions (or good, depending on how you look at it) were made during a stop at the grocery store when boxed wine made its way into conversation and was eventually added to the cart to be purchased. The fact that it was red didn't help the situation and would later make someone in the group regret this decision (no, it wasn't me). Anyway, one beer, a few karaoke moments and a car ride game later, we made it to the campgrounds (interesting Japan fact: despite their zero tolerance driving under the influence law, drinking in a vehicle is not illegal, just as long as the driver isn't drinking).

Which was the worse of the two evils:
the glasses or the bag of red wine?
When my traveling group's first instinct was to go down to the tented area and begin drinking, I knew that even though location had a lot to do with it, I had chosen the right people to hang out with. By the time the sun had set, cabins had been claimed, alcohol was flowing and burgers were on the grill (YES, cheeseburgers!). For the most part, everyone was a familiar face to each other...even mine! As I introduced myself to people, several of them took a second and then said, "I remember you...you're the Garlic Queen!". Yes, my friends, apparently I'm a household name even outside of Takko. Many of the returning JETs had visited the Garlic and Beef Festival last year and saw me perform and crown Janice Garlic Sumo Champion (remember Janice?). I've come to accept the fact that it is something I will never live down.

I take back what I said before
about responsible. This is trouble.
By the end of the night, the AJET Welcome Party had certainly lived up to its reputation. The evening's highlights: one guy falling victim to the gaijin trip (don't worry, he was okay); fire dancing...not even sure that was it was really called; climbing to the top of the tent; introducing spank the bag to newbies; dancing solo to California Girls because I'm pretty sure I was the only one there; seeing at least three shooting stars in the span of about ten minutes. A not-so-highlight was ending up in the hot mess cabin...none of the mess being mine. But waking up and eating the Oreo's we had hidden in the trunk of the car was choice and made up for it...sort of.

The car ride home was spent recapping the night's events and Ben reassuring everyone that no matter how crazy they think they were, at least they didn't make out with Kasey (sorry, Kasey). Of course a stop at Mickey D's was in order since we were all starving (another interesting Japan fact: McDonald's, like the US, only serves breakfast in the morning; however, they also serve ONLY breakfast in the mornings...curbing that french fry craving wasn't gonna happen for me). To make the car ride that much more memorable, we found ourselves in the middle of a driving lesson of sorts (Ululani hadn't spent a lot of time driving in Japan yet...but we are of course grateful for her services!).

So my first AJET event = success. When people hear that I'm in Aomori, their first reaction is of disbelief and then concern about whether or not there is much to do up here. Clearly, these people have never been around many AJETs. Tip of the hat to you all...well done!

さすがJETの青森

No comments:

Post a Comment