Monday, July 19, 2010

Around Takko...





Lesson of the week: Make sure to check Japanese calendar to check which days you have off from work.

Luckily, I had Americans clue me in on the day off we had on Monday; the country of Japan decided to celebrate Marine Day! Oh, how I love the ocean and all of its creatures!

Well, with the practically last-minute notice, I didn't have time to schedule any outings and the friends I have in town either had to work or already had plans to leave town for the day and/or weekend. But here is what I ended up doing...

After work on Friday, I went to dinner with a friend (last year's Garlic Lady, Ayumi) and she in turn invited me to watch her traditional Japanese dance class. As with every time I watch these dances, it was absolutely beautiful and it took everything within me to not get up and try it myself. The teacher was very gracious in inviting me to continue coming to class and giving it a try (YES!). She must have noticed how antsy I was getting just observing the class...

On Sunday, friends from work (a married couple, actually..one works at Yakuba, the other at Garlic Center) invited me for the day to watch a drift race. I had imagined Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift...and while Paul Walker was not present for the event, it was incredible to watch! We got hooked up with seats right at the front and on the turning bank of the track right next to the judges. Upside? Excellent view and a fence that acts as a foot rest. Downside? The burning rubber smell and chunks of tire flying at your face.

The entire event was announced in Japanese (go figure), so I hadn't a clue what was going on. I applauded and laughed when everyone else did and that's as good as I could do. I was lucky enough to be with Japanese people because during they did a raffle and called out all the numbers in Japanese. And yes...I won. I got to take a lap with one of the professional drivers. Um, awesome? I think I'm addicted and I think I'll start trying my hand at drifting in the Corolla S (that's right, I own a sports model of the Corolla). The windows are tinted so I'm pretty sure I'll fit in.

I'm pretty sure that Sunday was the hottest day on record ever. In the history of Japan. And while I realize that this may be a slight exaggeration of the facts, YOU weren't there to experience the heat. I applied sunscreen twice and still burned like crazy. It was my first time wearing a tank top in public in this country and it had to be the day that the sun just beat right through any kind of SPF I applied. Right now it hurts to wear anything on my shoulders...I've yet to go in search of aloe vera. I'm thinking that it may be a necessity since I'll once again be exposed to extreme sun this weekend (Garlic Festival!!!).

So speaking of this weekend...we are in the final hours of planning, packing, etc etc. At the beginning of my first month here, I have to admit: I wasn't all that excited to be returning home so soon. NOT that I don't miss everyone...I just wanted to be more immersed before returning to California because I know you are all expecting awesomeness from me when I get back (no, I am most definitely not fluent). BUT...I will admit now that I am most definitely excited to go back for a variety of reasons :)

Get ready people! I return stateside Wednesday morning! My US number is still the same so I'll be in contact no problem. Can't wait to see everyone!

And just a side note..if you ever want to feel like a celebrity, move to a small town in Japan and dye your hair blonde. Works like a charm.

1 comment:

  1. I want to see a video of you walking down the street and having people look at you, can you make that happen?

    ReplyDelete