So today (July 1st) was my first official day of work. Goal of the day: try not to offend anyone with bad Japanese manners or mispronounce something in Japanese, therefore embarrassing myself profoundly.
It started with a brief meeting with the mayor (gift giving and "small talk") followed by an informal introduction to the section and group leaders of Yakuba. But here's the big news of the day...*drumrolllll*....I have business cards! WOOT! Business cards are a big deal here in Nihon, and there is a particular way to give and receive them. Well, I certainly had a LOT of practice: I gave and received business cards 18 times today while being introduced to every town officer in Yakuba (which, by the way, is way more than 18). It was cRAzy. Today's most used phrases were "yoroshiku onegaishimasu" and "gonbarimasu" (I'll do my best). Apparently there is no direct translation to English for the first phrase. It is best translated as "Nice to meet you", but that really doesn't capture its true meaning.
My first official task as CIR is to organize and plan the July trip to the Gilroy Garlic Festival. In reality, all that entails is me finding host families for the Takko delegates (anyone interested?) and planning our SF day trip (Giants game!!!). Pretty compelling stuff, let me tell you. And just an FYI, it is the Japanese way to be quiet and serious in the office. Keep the laughing to a minimum (new challenge!). OH! I also got my very own "honko" (I'm PRETTY sure that's what it's called but I can't call any Japanese friends because 1. I don't have a cell phone yet and 2. It's 9:30pm so I'm pretty sure that's rude). Anyway, a honko is this little stamp that has your name on it and it's your way of signing important documents in lieu of a signature. It's more official that way. Most people's honko is their name in Kanji, but mine is, of course, in English :)
Weather report for tomorrow says a high of 75 degrees annnnnd rain. Nice. Hello humidity, my hair hates you. They say it takes about a week for your body to adjust to the climate. I'll let you know if/when that happens.
Well, tomorrow offers up another full day! We are going to the yochien and I'll meet my first set of students (but not for the first time). Wear comfortable slacks and blouse and be prepared for a whole hell of a lot of high fives. Awesoooome.
Tomorrow NIGHT is the official Welcome Jessica/Sayonara Patrick party. I'll be giving my speech in Japanese with a small joke or two thrown in there. I'll let you know how that one goes.
Minasan ja ne!
No comments:
Post a Comment